3.20.2008

Husband/Father of the Year

I've decided that I don't brag nearly enough about what a great husband I have, and what a great Dad Vaughn has. This weekend is a prime example of what kind of man Rick is.

On Friday I started to feel sick, and by Saturday I was feeling pretty much awful. I had a horrible sore throat, a headache, I was achy all over, and started coughing bad etc etc... I got up early with Vaughn, and we went with some girls to help them train for the Bryce Canyon 1/2 marathon (which I'm so excited about-- much more to come on that!). When I got home Rick had gotten up early (even though he could have slept in), and had already started cleaning our house. He spent the ENTIRE day cleaning, and getting our house ready for company (we had two of his sisters, his nephew stay Sunday-Wed. and my youngest brother and two of his friends who were here for the Mountain West conference over for dinner on Sunday). Anyway...I can't explain what a relief this was to me. I didn't have to nag him or even ask him to help me. He didn't just clean-- he deep cleaned, was re-painting our guest bedroom and all sorts of stuff, until our house was looking pretty good. At about 10 or 11am he decided to go shopping, and told me to stay home and take a nap, and he took Vaughn with him. He went nonstop until Saturday night cleaning, shopping, taking care of Vaughn and being sweet to me. Even though he had to go to work while our company was here, he still would come home, make delicious dinners, visit with our family and help me put Vaughn to bed. I seriously don't know what I would do without my Rick.

My Grandma lived with us for 7 months after Vaughn was born and took care of him while I worked, and she would say to me all the time "Dolly you just don't know how good you have it. You are so lucky to have a husband like Rick." She still tells me when I visit with her what a sweet husband I have, and I would have to agree with her 100%. I like the quote by Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. that says: “The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.” Even though I know me being sick isn't a huge challenge-- just one of those things we all have to go through-- it did add more to his plate this weekend and week, and he didn't once complain or make me feel bad. He in fact, showed concern and sympathy that I wasn't feeling well, and did his best to make my life easier. I'm so grateful to have such a person in my life.

Thanks Rick! Vaughn and I are the luckiest people in the world to have you. xoxo