3.12.2008

The Parable of the Ten Virgins















Last week I went to a RS enrichment activity where they did an enactment of the parable of the ten virgins. They talked about each of the women, the qualities they possessed, and had musical numbers in between describing the women. I was very touched by it, and have been thinking about it quite a bit. I could see a bit of myself in each one of the women (some more than others), and left thinking just how important it is that I strengthen the good qualities within me, and also that it is quite possible to have a "lamp full of oil" if I do simple things in my life every day that prepare me. It seems that in life when I focus on a few simple things, and make those a priority, that the big or important things fall into place. I don't know why that is, but somehow it makes life easier knowing that if I focus on those small things, I am creating a pattern in my life that will lead to good things. I always have ways that I can improve, and I left that night knowing what those areas were that I needed to focus on. I'm so grateful to everyone who participated, and planned and put the evening together. It truly enriched me!

Here is the parable for any who would like to read it:

Matthew 25
25:1 "Then the kingdom of heaven shall be likened to ten virgins who took their lamps and went out to meet the bridegroom.
25:2 Now five of them were wise, and five were foolish.
25:3 Those who were foolish took their lamps and took no oil with them,
25:4 but the wise took oil in their vessels with their lamps.
25:5 But while the bridegroom was delayed, they all slumbered and slept.
25:6 And at midnight a cry was heard: 'Behold, the bridegroom is coming; go out to meet him!'
25:7 Then all those virgins arose and trimmed their lamps.
25:8 And the foolish said to the wise, 'Give us some of your oil, for our lamps are going out.'
25:9 But the wise answered, saying, 'No, lest there should not be enough for us and you; but go rather to those who sell, and buy for yourselves.'
25:10 And while they went to buy, the bridegroom came, And those who were ready went in with him to the wedding; and the door was shut.
25:11 Afterward the other virgins came also, saying, 'Lord, Lord, open to us!'
25:12 But he answered and said, 'Assuredly, I say to you, I do not know you.'
25:13 Watch therefore, for you know neither the day nor the hour in which the Son of Man is coming.