4.30.2008

A Quilt is a Blanket of Love

Today is my Mother in law, Fran Harris's birthday. She passed away last year in April from Hodgkin's lymphoma. Fran was such a sweet, caring, hardworking, and talented woman, and I miss her very much. Among her many talents was quilting. She probably made hundreds of quilts in her lifetime. The beautiful quilt above is one that she gave us for our wedding, and that we keep on our bed. On the back corner of the quilt she has written "A Quilt is a Blanket of Love." Every time I look at the beautiful quilts that she made, it reminds me of the wonderful person that she was, and is. These quilts to me, represent such a part of her personality-- quiet hard work, diligence, creativity, beauty, kindness, and a richness of color and character.

Today I took out all the quilts that we have of hers, and it just brought tears to my eyes to think of all the hours she sat with her own hands stitching them together. They truly are blankets of love. Before her funeral, all of her children met at her house, and each one received a beautiful quilt that she had in her home. Then the next day, all of her grandchildren, and children and in-laws were able to meet together, and each grandchild was able to draw a number and get a quilt that she had made. She had exactly enough quilts in her home for each of her children and 26 grandchildren to keep one. When I looked at all of her wonderful family holding the quilts that she had made, it was truly a beautiful sight. She raised such an amazing family.



Even though It makes me sad to know that I only got to be a part of her life for a few short years, and that my children won't get to know her in this life, I feel a deep sense of love and gratitude for the life that she lived and for her. She raised such a wonderful man, who I am so grateful to call my husband, and who has so many qualities that I know he would never have without her as a Mom. Her life and legacy still live on through her children and grandchildren.



Below are the other quilts that we have of hers that mean so much to us:




  • Top Left: This is the quilt that Rick got of hers before the funeral. It is so beautiful.
  • Top Right: Rick has had this quilt since childhood. I call it the "sick quilt," because every time he doesn't feel good or is sick, he always curls up with it. It makes me happy that even though he doesn't have his Mom here, he has something that can make him feel comforted and better.
  • Bottom Left: This is the quilt that Vaughn got in the number drawing after the funeral. Since he already has a quilt that she made for him, we are hoping to someday have a little girl that we can pass this on to. It is also very beautiful, and makes me happy every time I look at it.
  • Bottom Right: This is the quilt that Fran made for Vaughn when he was born. I'm so happy he has something from her to always cherish.


Happy Birthday Mom, Grandma, and Friend. We love you and miss you.

Love,

Jane, Rick, and Vaughn

Here is a cookie recipe of hers for sandies that she made a lot while I knew her. They are my favorite:

Sandies

  • Cream 1 cup of butter and 1/3 cup of sugar
  • Add 2 teaspoons of vanilla and 2 teaspoons of water
  • Add 2 cups of sifted flour, and mix well
  • Stir 1 cup of chopped pecans
  • Shape into small balls
  • Bake at 325 on an un-greased cookie sheet for 20 minutes
  • Cool slightly
  • Roll in powdered sugar
  • Enjoy a delicious cookie (or two or three or four...)!