9.09.2009

One

Dear Mason,

Today you turned one years old.

I tried to think of something that I could give you for your birthday. Something special. I looked around our house, and it is filled with toys, clothes, food, and things that you need.

So I decided to take you to a special place on this special day. A place that you've never been in all the 365 days that you've been alive. The ocean. The beach. The sunny California coast.

We woke up when the sun came up and I kissed your little head and told you happy birthday. When I told Vaughn it was your birthday he said "It's Masom's birfday. He is so happy," and then he sang you the happy birthday song. I nursed you, we had some breakfast-to-go and we set out for our 4 hour drive to the Newport Beach.

When we got there, and I set you down in the sand for the first time you squealed with delight and ran straight for the waves. You weren't afraid of the water the entire time we were there. You laughed at the waves and played and ran with your brother and played yourself to exhaustion.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket


What you liked most was holding onto my hands and jumping through the waves with me. It was a dizzying feeling looking down at the ebb and flow of water while sinking softly in sand at the same time.

Sometimes that is what being your Mom feels like. There is a constant tugging at my heart to want to hold on to you and never let you grow from this bright happy little boy that you are, and also the joy of watching you grow, learn, and develop-- to want to watch you make your way in this big world-- both at the same time. It's dizzying, and exilerating.

We played for hours, ate, visited with people we met, and had so much fun. Everyone thought you were adorable and told me so. You smiled, and laughed, and had the best first birthday ever.


Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

It is such a joy to be your Mom, Mason. I love you more than I can ever explain. You make me smile and laugh every single day, and I am so grateful that I get to be your Mom, and get to celebrate this day that you came into this world-- so strong, so sweet, my little baby boy.

Happy Birthday.


Photobucket