11.21.2009

The Bookie Always Wins


I love to read.

I have always loved to read.

As a child I went gaga over Schoolastic book fairs.  My favorite days in school were readathon days where we could bring our pillows and blankets and bean bags and snacks and just read for the day.  Whoever thought that one up needs a pat on the back.  Pure genius.

In college I would get giddy when I'd sign up for a class and was handed a list of books I needed for the semester.  I'd go to the book store and pick them all up and start reading them on the walk back to my apartment.  It didn't take me long to figure out that a degree in literature was the way to go for me.  Really?  You can get a degree and just read and write your way through school?  Sign me up.

As a Mom, some of my fondest moments are those with a child in my lap, reading together.  One of the greatest joys to me of being a parent, is that I get to continue my learning with my children-- to sure up the basics that maybe didn't sink in the first time around, or to explore areas that I was afraid to when I was young, or didn't have a chance to.

I make lists of books that I want to read.  I have notebooks full of titles and authors-- children's literature, young adult books, classics, science fiction, autobiographies, history, new releases, parenting, gardening, cooking, church, and on and on.

Lately though there is an urgency that I've felt in my desire to read.  And like most feelings that I've had like this before, I feel that I am being lead somewhere important-- somewhere and something I need to be in life.  So I'm taking my reading a little more seriously.

Last week after I had added to a list in my notebook, I started browsing through Amazon.com and looked longingly at all the books I wanted to buy.  I was bothered by this though.  I am always wanting to buy more and more books, and we just don't have room for so many of them.  There are so many of them that I've purchased and don't think I will ever read again.  I thought for days about why it is I feel that I need to buy the books, and not just get them from the Public library.

Yesterday it dawned on me:  I want to buy the books so that I have a record that I read it-- something physical to remind me.  As if having the book will somehow channel up all the feelings and thoughts that I had.  As if everything I learned will come back to me the moment I hold it in my hands.

It didn't take me long to come up with a solution.  It's simple really:

http://sweetestjanereads.blogspot.com/

Meet my new blog.  It is a journal that I'm going to keep of my thoughts on the things that I am reading. It is not literary criticism, and it is not a literary review.  Just a journal to remember my thoughts, feelings, and things I learned while reading.

At the end of every year I will publish my blog into a book, and that is what I will treasure and keep on my bookshelves.  That and the books that I read often, already treasure, and can't get in the library.

So if you are interested please stop by.  I'd love to have you visit.

~Jane
p.s. please excuse the way it looks.  Someday I'll get it all fixed up and more presentable.