12.28.2009

Facebook Status Updates

Here are most of my Facebook status updates since joining in March.  I'm plugging these in for my blog book I'm making soon.  Facebook is pretty cool most days, and I'm glad it gives me a place to put these little scraps of memory:


  • March 26th: Just got the snow cone maker out of the garage for the warmer weather coming to us. Vaughn's been asking for it since our getting sunburned on our walk yesterday. Mid 70's thisd weekend! 
  • March 26th: Ate fresh radishes and radish greens from her garden in her salad tonight.




  • April 1st: Just got a notification from Barack Obama saying that we are cousins. Well I'll be... 
  • April 21st:  My 2 year old son went around the house today singing "London bridges falling down, falling down, falling down. London bridges falling down...my FAT lady!" 
  • June  20th:  Had a wonderful time kayaking with Rick and the boys today at Lake Mead




  • July 22nd: Vaughn loved shredding it up this weekend on his cousin Cole's skateboard.




  • August 16th: Just got back from the hospital. Rick had to have an emergency appendectomy. He's recovering well, but has to stay overnight. I feel sad he has to stay there all alone. What a day...
  • September 3rd: Is Husbandless for 10 days. Rick flies into Barcelona today.
  • September 3rd:  Just bought Catching Fire, the newest book in The Hunger Games series. So excited to read it! Any of you Vegans who want to borrow it, let me know. If it's anything like the first book, I'm sure I'll be done with it soon.
  • September 9th:  Celebrated my baby's one year birthday today by taking him to the beach.




  • September 17th: Conversation with our 3yo last night while being tucked into bed: Vaughn: Does Incredible Hulk have a penis? Dad: Uh-huh, he does. Vaughn: And so he can shoot fire out of it? Dad: No. Just pee out of it. Vaughn. Oh. Green pee? Dad: Yes, green, Incredible Hulk pee. Vaughn: (knowing smile, slight nod) Oh. Green pee... I'm just glad Dad was the one tucking him in.
  • September 20th: Parenting tip #132: When your kids are little teach them phrases like "Hot Mama!" So that when they get older, and you are lounging around the house in a pair of old scrubs and flip-flops-- hair in a pony-tail/no makeup, and they are running around the living room exclaiming "hot mama! hot mama!" it just may add some swagger to your day.
  • September 25th: Hiked up the Mountain's Edge Park Mtn. with a friend this morning and watched the sun come up while doing Yoga. It was a great way to start the day.
  • September 29th: If I leave the cobweb and spiderweb's that have gathered on my porch, does that count as Halloween decorations? What if I add some fake leaves and glow in the dark spiders to spice it up a bit? To sweep or not to sweep, that is the question.
  • September 29th: FHE last night: Vaughn, after dropping something: Oh [insert the "S" word here]! Mason: Deep belly laughter. Vaughn, enjoying his brother laughing: Oh [expletive]! Oh [expletive]! Mom: Trying not to laugh along with them: Red face, tears forming. Dad, shaking his head and raising his eyebrows saying silently to me: This is YOUR fault. It could have ALMOST been a Mormon ad.
  • October 5th: The CVS pharmacy on Sahara and Fort Apache has Playskool diapers (52 and 72 count depending on size) for $3 each. Yes, you read that right. $3. I don't know if that is the deal at all CVS pharmacies, but that price puts Wal Mart's unbeatable slogan to shame.
  • October 5th: Me and my boys at Newport Beach





  • October 13th: I love Mase man's wide open mouth smiley kisses before I lay him down for sleep. Especially when he sticks his tongue out and licks me.




  • October 13thGrocery shopping tip: Bring your portable tunes along with you for the trip and get lost in the beat. The only down side: It's really hard not to shake what your mama gave you once you're really in the grove. p.s. I like this song.




  • October 24th: Tomorrow afternoon at 3:00 pm my choir will be singing at Ham Hall on the UNLV campus. I would like to invite anyone who can make it to come enjoy a great concert, and to support the arts here in Vegas. It will be a beautiful concert. Please come!



  • October 30th: Watch out Utahn's. We're here for a visit and our three-year-old is ready to do some damage.




  • November 2nd: Do you think they would laugh at me if I checked myself into a rehab center for caffeine addiction?
  • November 3rd: TWO kids + ONE hour time difference from daylight savings + adjusting to ONE hour time difference after being in Utah for a week = my kids waking up at FOUR am (the new six am). Mason has been taking his morning nap for an hour now and it's only 7:30am. There is something WRONG with this picture!
  • November 14th: Thank the Lawd above for David Bowie for pushing me through my bike ride this morning.
  • November 19th: Vaughn just handed me a green crayon, with the bottom half of the wrapper peeled off and said "Mom can you help me get Incredible Hulk's shirt off?" It must be the 3yr old boy, super-hero obsessed version of playing with dolls.
  • November 20th: Today at the gas station: A man's card kept getting denied while he was trying to put $10 of gas on it. As he went into the restroom, the other young (tattooed, and facial pierced) checker in the store grabbed cash out of his OWN wallet, and said quietly to the woman helping him "Here take it out of this. Just tell him that his card went through when he gets back from the restroom." People are freaking awesome.
  • November 24th: Is thankful that her mountain of laundry is finally folded and put away (and that Rick did most of it!).




  • November 30th: All morning Vaughn has been pretending to be Maleficent, and guess who he's calling Sleeping Beauty? Yes, me. I rather like being called Sleeping Beauty 100 times + at 6 in the morning. I never thought I'd say this with two boys but...Note to self: Buy more Disney princess movies.
  • November 30th: Un-eagerly anticipating a necessary trip to the DMV this morning. Monday morning, after a Holiday weekend, and the last day of the month-- with my 3yr old and 1yr old (extremely energetic) little monkeys in tow. ****Shuddering with dread**** Please pray for my wretched soul.
  • November 30th: Dear older Chinese man with the kind eyes at the DMV: Thank you so much for handing me your crumpled up number and telling me in your broken English that you didn't need it because you used the kiosk. Your number was 126 lower than the # I would have gotten had I stood in line. Your small act of kindness saved me hours of time, and made me want to be a better person. May the Gods of karma smile down on you...
  • December 2nd: After my baby woke up from his nap, he sat on my lap and I showed him for the first time how to dip cookies in milk. It was a nice quiet moment and would have been a Kodak moment, except for the part where there was gooey cookie all over both of us, and he had to take a bath after.
  • December 3rd: Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one in Las Vegas who knows how to (legally) maneuver my way through a four-way-stop. Do they not teach about right of way in drivers ed anymore? Do they even still have drivers ed?
  • December 4th: Conversation with Vaughn a little before 6am, after he had wandered around the house looking for his stuffed kitten: Vaughn: Mommy! Daddy cleaned the house last night so we don't have to clean it a-day! Me: aaaguugughsldigosdng. Vaughn: Mommy! You stand up now okay!? Me: agoliusdlgnghghghgh, Vaughn (while walking away): I gonna go make a mess now Mommy, okay? Me: auauguguugu.
  • December 5th: After Christmas shopping for hours yesterday I've come to the conclusion that Mr. Potato Head is a sell out. Way to compromise your integrity Mr. Potato Head. Hope you enjoy your cold hard cash.
  • December 5th: okay fb friends. I need advice from all you cat-owners and cat-lovers out there. We are getting one for Christmas, and I've never owned one before. We have two small kids to consider, and I want one that will interact well with them. Does gender make a difference in behavior? I was thinking of getting one from a shelter-- is this wise? Any personal experience or advice would be greatly appreciated!
  • December 11th: My choir is performing in about 10 different songs tomorrow evening at the MGM Grand with Andrea Bocelli. I'm really excited and nervous! This is one of my favorite songs we're performing in:
  • December 13th: I can't lie-- It was completely AWESOME singing in the Andrea Bocelli Christmas concert last night. My favorite part was rehearsing before the concert. I loved David Foster. He was the nicest guy, and so talented. His arrangement of the Lord's Prayer was my favorite. The best part was that they invited us back next year for the same concert on December 11th 2010. What a fun and amazing night!
  • December 14th: Made gingerbread houses with Rick and the boys while listening to the Alvin and the Chipmunks Christmas album. All is right in the world.
  • December 15th: Happenings in our house today: This morning there were a few ants in the kitchen. Vaughn threw them a birthday party, complete with singing and a "cake." Wolverine and Captain America got sick and went to the doctor (who looked a lot like the Silver Surfer), and Buzz Lightyear rescued a cat out of our Christmas tree with his ladder (which looked a LOT like my broom). Sigh...it's been a busy day so far.
  • December 16th: What Vaughn just said: When I go pooh-pooh I can have a magazine.
  • December 16th: Is eating gumdrops off her gingerbread house while her kids take a nap.
  • December 17th: Holiday tip for all you SW Vegans out there (as in live in Vegas): If you need to mail any holiday packages, go to the post office in Blue Diamond. It's only a mile or two further than the Russell location. They are really nice, there's never anyone there, and they have complimentary coffee, suckers for the kids, and they'll show you a whole book of pretty stamps to choose from if you need to buy any.
  • December 18th: Just got back from a fun night of Relief Society girls gone wild (as Rick so fondly calls it) game night. I love a good girls night. Now I get to go curl up in my warm bed with my snoring husband. Ahhhh...life is good.
  • December 19th: I love it when you leave a good spot in a crowded parking lot. You get all those good feelings of giving away your good spot to someone else without really doing anything but driving away.
  • December 20th: Dear children of mine, Out of all the things upstairs to get into why must it always be my feminine products? I might be okay with it if you would keep the mess in the bathroom. Really, if you don't stop throwing them over the banister into our entryway, I swear I will take pictures of you with your mischievous grins and tampons and pantyliners in fists and show them to all your future girlfriends. Love always, Mom
  • December 22nd: So I've chickened out at the last minute in getting a cat for Vaughn. I can really sum up my fear in two words: Kitty Litter. I just don't know if I'm woman enough to deal with it. I told Rick his Christmas present this year was that we weren't getting a cat. He looked so relieved. So now I'm wondering what I can threaten him with next year to make him happy with getting nothing.
  • December 24th: Dear Santa, I only want one thing for Christmas (besides world peace, that is): When you come tonight and lovingly place presents beneath our tree, if you could please stop upstairs and do my laundry, I would be oh-so grateful. Even if it's just a little elf or Mrs. Claus who do the work, It'd be okay with me. I'll leave you a whole pecan pie just to say thank-you. I have faith in you Santa. Merry Christmas.
  • December 28th: During dinner tonight Al Gore's name came up and Vaughn blurted out "Al Gore is NOT a person!" I can't say either of us argued with that one.  In response to some of the comments I wrote back: Ah yes, well after singlehandedly inventing the internet, making a riveting documentary full of factual and irrefutable science, winning the Nobel Peace Prize (which he TOTALLY deserved), and writing the best poetry that I have ever read about noxious greenhouse gases, I would have to say that I wouldn't be surprised at all if Gore peeled back the layers of his shirt and a giant arc of light came shooting out of his belly, and he proclaimed with his powerful, prophetic, and poetic voice "CARE BEAR STARE!" In short: Al Gore is a giant Care Bear.