12.01.2009

Las Vegas Athletic Club

Last week I joined the Las Vegas Athletic Club.



When I joined I got some extra free one week passes that I'd love to pass on to any of you who are interested.  I have 5 of them, and will give them to the first 5 people who call or email me at janeharrislv@gmail.com.  Even if you don't want to join the gym, but want to use it for a week just for fun, please let me know.  I'd love to share.

I went in to the gym skeptically.  It was beautiful and all-- huge club with everything in it from a pool to raquetball, hundreds of good quality cardio and weight equipment, two classroom areas, a women's only workout room, and a giant childcare facility with slides and a bounce house and computer games and fun activities for the kids.  It was nicer than I was expecting, and they even had 6 locations, which could be used by any member.

But I wondered about prices and contracts and all that jazz.  Part of me wondered if I really needed to pay money every month to get a good work out.  There was running and riding my bike and work out videos that I could do.

So then we went over the prices.  There are three kinds of memberships you can get, and all of them are based on a 26 month contract (which can be cancelled if you move, or frozen for medical reasons if you have a doctors note, or frozen for financial reasons if you need to).

  • The first is a basic membership which includes everything in the club for free, minus the raquetball and the childcare, which can still be used with a fee. It is $21 a month, and $5 to enroll.
  • The second is called something like ultimate (don't quote me here).  With this membership you can pick 3 extra benefits that the club offers.  I can only remember five but they are:  1) free personal trainer, 2) free towel service, 3) free raquetball, 4) 2 free guest passes a month, and 5) free childcare for each child up to 2 hours a day.  I think the 6th had something to do with free body composition testing or something like that.  This membership is $31 a month with a $5 enrollment fee.  
  • The third membership is (I think) called premium.  With this membership you get six of the benefits that the club offers and pay an enrollment fee of around $120.  
I went from skeptical before hearing the prices, to "where do I sign" in a matter of minutes.  I could not believe what a great value this is.  I picked the second membership.  With it I can bring both of my kids in every single day for up to two hours a day, and get a much needed break and get to do something good for myself-- and they love it!  Vaughn gets so excited when I tell him we're going to the gym.  Mason (my little mamas boy) is having a harder adjustment, but it's getting easier for him, and I think it's good for him to be away from me for a little bit a day.  I also chose the two free guest passes a month, so that if Rick and I want to go to the gym together for a little "date night" we can.

Even if you have 6 kids, you can pay the $120 enrollment fee and bring all six of them and it's included in your fee of $31 a month.

I get so excited when I wake up every morning that I get to go to the gym, and do something for myself and by myself.  I'm not distracted with my kid's needs, and don't have to worry about them.  I can even watch them on the monitors at the club, which they have all over, if I want to.  Mostly I can just let my mind go for a while, and leave feeling energized, refreshed, and alive.  It's given me more energy to do the kinds of activities outdoors with them that I want to do, like hiking, taking walks, riding bikes etc.

This was my Christmas/Birthday/Anniversary present this year.  I told Rick that it's all I wanted.  It wasn't hard to find areas in our life that we could cut back on to make room for this new financial obligation.  We went from two cell phones, to one pay as you go cell phone which drastically saved us money, and we also cancelled our direct TV, which cost us about as much as the gym membership does.  I think it's a great trade off, and one I wish I would have done a long time ago.  The funny thing is that I haven't watched any TV for weeks now, and I don't miss it one single bit.  Even the shows that I thought I would miss.  And I've only been working out for a week, and I can feel such a huge change in my mood, the way I'm feeling, and my energy level.  Some things you never miss but think you will, and some things you were missing, and didn't know you were.

Funny how life works that way.

So if any of you are interested in my free 1 week passes, let me know-- let it be my Christmas gift to you!