12.22.2009

Last Minute Gift Idea, Conversation Jars

I made these fun little jars recently for some of my friends, some of whom haven't gotten them yet (hi friends!  Pretend you didn't see this, okay?).  I thought I'd share the idea for any of you looking for a last minute gift idea.

These are called conversation jars.  They are filled with over a hundred little slips of card stock with questions geared toward starting interesting conversations as a family like:

  • If you could be any animal, what would you be and why? (Vaughn said he'd like to be a green kitty, Rick said a bird, and I said a fish, which Rick said was boring.  Please, tell me what on earth is boring about the ocean?  I'd love to explore down there for the day).  Anyway, it started a great conversation.
  • Would you rather live for a week in the past or the future?
  • What family or school rule would you most like to change?
I got the idea from Table Topics.  They have great products, but they are a little pricey, so I decided to make some homemade jars instead:


Photobucket

These were really easy to make.  I just printed the questions on card stock, then used a slide cutter to cut them out, and put them in jars.  I used spray adhesive to put material on the tops of jar lids, and tied a ribbon around the jar tops.  And to finish it off I used a round 1 1/2" cutter, and a flower punch, and glued it to the jar.

Photobucket

Simple, easy, and fun.  I was able to use these with materials I already had around my house.  I'm sure there are lots of variations you could do, and that you could probably come up with something much cuter than this (decorating is not my specialty).

If you would like the list of questions that I used, please email at janeharrislv@gmail.com, and I'll send them to you!  I also have about 5 copies printed on card stock that I have leftover, because I ran out of jars, so if any of you would like them let me know.

Happy Holidays!