4.29.2010

Apple Salad


Yesterday as I was leaving the gym, they had a little display set out, trying to sell some gadget that chops and slices your food. They were demoing how it works with fruit and were handing out little cups of delicious salad that had apples, pears, bananas, cinnamon, and vanilla.  It was so good and refreshing that I decided to make my own version of it as soon as I got home and share it with my family.

Basically, I just used a cheese grater and grated up a whole apple, right up to the core.  Then I sliced and chopped up a banana and added it to the mix.  I threw in a few raisins too, but I'm iffy if I like them in there or not.  And lastly, I sprinkled some cinnamon on the fruit, and added just a little bit of vanilla and stirred it up.

Today I made it again, and I added some shredded carrots, and some finely chopped fresh spinach to it.  It still tasted really good-- even my husband and kids loved it.  I think tomorrow I might try adding a few chopped up walnuts with it.

It is such a sweet, crunchy and tasty salad, that I'm sure it will become a regular around here when we are craving something sweet, or need a quick snack.

Maybe you've already had a similar salad, but it was new to me, and I thought I would pass it on to you, my friends.

Rick is upstairs putting the kids to bed.  The house is clean, the last few batches of laundry are whirling away upstairs, and I'm sitting here in my comfy scrubs and sweatshirt in the dark living room listening to good music. We're about to have a date night in, right here at home.

Hope your Thursday night is nice and cozy too (or loud and crazy-- whatever makes you happy).

Loves!