12.12.2010

Books for Christmas

I just placed my order for my kid's Christmas books!  It's one of my favorite traditions for Christmas.

Last year I got the boys Bear Snores On
Bear Snores on [BEAR SNORES ON-BOARD]

and
The Peter Yarrow Songbook: Sleepytime Songs:
 The Peter Yarrow Songbook: Sleepytime Songs

We have loved these books so much through this year.  Bear snores on was an instant favorite.  I love the winter illustrations and all the sweet characters in this book.

I can hardly talk about Sleepytime Songs without getting all choked up.  I have loved these beautiful songs, and sung them so many times to my boys that I know it's become a part of us-- something I'll always cherish.

This year I ordered three books-- one for each of them on Christmas Day, and one for Christmas Eve.

I ordered Click, Clack, Moo: Cows That Type

Click, Clack, Moo: Cows That Type   [CLICK CLACK MOO] [Hardcover]

I thought it would be a lot of fun to pair this with an actual typewriter for the boys to play with, so I bid on ebay and won on a vintage children's typewriter, in the prettiest blue color.  I love it.  I think it will be fun, and the kids will love it-- especially Vaughn who is so interested in letters and writing right now.

I also got Owl Moon, by Jane Yolen
Owl Moon

I love love love this book.  Such gorgeous illustrations, and reads like a poem.  The boys have loved it too, when we've gotten it from the library, but it's been a while since we've read it, so I think we'll all be happy to open this up, settle into the story, and call it ours.

Lastly, I got  The Peter Yarrow Songbook: Favorite Folk Songs, by Peter Yarrow
The Peter Yarrow Songbook: Favorite Folk Songs

I think it will be fun to get my guitar re-strung, and to get learning and singing some new songs together.

I think books make the perfect gift for any occasion, but I especially love it at Christmastime.  It's one of the only times I'll pay full price for a book.  In a way I feel like I'm also saying a little thank you to the people who wrote, illustrated, and published these amazing books that add so much to our lives.  What better way to keep an art alive, then to support it?