Christmas is coming! This morning we made our advent calendar. I was really inspired by this advent calendar from The Artful Parent. We didn't do it exactly the same way, but I loved the way it turned out. I traced out the shape of the tree and star, and the boys painted away, while we listened to Ella Fitzgerald carol Christmas music. While the paint was still wet, we sprinkled some of these little sparkly things to add some, well...sparkle!
Vaughn punched out some circles for our ornaments, and I numbered them, and wrote our activity for the day on the back. I got most of my inspiration for the crafts that we will be doing from the book What Shall We Do Today? by Catherine Woram:
It is a fabulous book, divided by season, full of simple and gorgeous crafts. I highly recommend it. Here are our 25 Christmas activities (many from this book):
- Make twig decorations
- Make angel for top of tree
- Get Christmas tree
- Make orange tree decorations
- Make felt stars (pictured above)
- Make holiday spice cookies
- Make orange pomanders
- Make potpourri
- Make paper snowflakes
- Make snow globes (I'm really excited about this one)
- Make brownies and deliver gifts
- Make printed wrapping paper
- Make nativity scene
- Finish nativity scene
- Make holiday cards and mail out to family and friends
- Make pine cone animals
- Make gingerbread (men and house)
- Assemble and decorate gingerbread house
- Watch Christmas movie and eat popcorn
- Sing Christmas songs and drink hot chocolate
- Tell the story of Jesus
- Drive to visit family!
- Go sledding and build snowman
- Christmas party with family
I'm sure I'll be sharing some of our activities through the month, and can't wait to read about and see what you are all doing.
It's going to be a messy and marvelous month, and I'm already loving it.