12.01.2010

Counting Down


Christmas is coming!  This morning we made our advent calendar.  I was really inspired by this advent calendar from The Artful Parent.  We didn't do it exactly the same way, but I loved the way it turned out.  I traced out the shape of the tree and star, and the boys painted away, while we listened to Ella Fitzgerald carol Christmas music.  While the paint was still wet, we sprinkled some of these little sparkly things to add some, well...sparkle!


Vaughn punched out some circles for our ornaments, and I numbered them, and wrote our activity for the day on the back.  I got most of my inspiration for the crafts that we will be doing from the book What Shall We Do Today? by Catherine Woram:

It is a fabulous book, divided by season, full of simple and gorgeous crafts.  I highly recommend it.  Here are our 25 Christmas activities (many from this book):

  1. Make twig decorations
  2. Make angel for top of tree
  3. Get Christmas tree
  4. Make orange tree decorations
  5. Make felt stars (pictured above)
  6. Make holiday spice cookies
  7. Make orange pomanders
  8. Make potpourri
  9. Make paper snowflakes
  10. Make snow globes (I'm really excited about this one)
  11. Make brownies and deliver gifts
  12. Make printed wrapping paper
  13. Make nativity scene
  14. Finish nativity scene
  15. Make holiday cards and mail out to family and friends
  16. Make pine cone animals
  17. Make gingerbread (men and house)
  18. Assemble and decorate gingerbread house
  19. Watch Christmas movie and eat popcorn
  20. Sing Christmas songs and drink hot chocolate
  21. Tell the story of Jesus
  22. Drive to visit family!
  23. Go sledding and build snowman
  24. Christmas party with family
  25. Christmas!
I'm sure I'll be sharing some of our activities through the month, and can't wait to read about and see what you are all doing.  

It's going to be a messy and marvelous month, and I'm already loving it.