12.20.2010

Phew...

I'm ready.

The car is packed up, the house is as clean as it's going to get, the presents are stowed away under a blanket in the back of the blues mobile, and the kids are downstairs eating their lunch, waiting for Daddy to get home from work so we can hit the road.

Yesterday I was not ready.  About mid-day I had a little pre-Christmas freak-out.  Does this happen to anyone else?  The house was in shambles, I had half-finished projects all over the place, and a million little things to do before leaving today.  

I knew I was in trouble when Vaughn said "Mommy, I'm hungry" and I reached into the fridge, pulled out a bell pepper, tore it in half, removed the seeds and said hurriedly "here, eat this!"  He looked at me with a mixture of shock and confusion and said "But Mommy, I don't want to eat a pepper."  "I don't care," I replied, "you can eat that or be hungry!"

Then Rick made a perfectly innocent comment-- something about how I needed to stop worrying about such-and-such and start getting packed, and I had what I can only describe as a Colonel Jessup moment: 



"You want me to provide Christmas!  You need me to provide Christmas!  And then you question the manner in which I provide it!"

Lets just say that everyone was treading lightly around Mommy after that moment.

But I was able to pull through, and am now taking deep breaths to try and calm myself and, you know, get into the Christmas spirit and all that.

I hope you're all having a great week.  And if you need to have a little pre-Christmas freak-out, I'm here for you.  I understand.  Deep breaths, deep breaths.

Love to you!
Jane