2.25.2011

Steinbeck, Knitting, and Death Valley

I haven't been much of a blogger lately.  I'm blaming it on Steinbeck.  If he didn't write such a masterpiece like this one below, that I checked out from the library last week, then I would have more time to get off the sofa and write a thing or two.

There are times when I pick up a book and from almost the first sentence something magic happens.  It's like I just inhale the book-- like I'm living it, breathing it.  East of Eden is one of those books.  Why haven't I ever read it before?  Why didn't anybody tell me how good this book is?  And how much I would love it from the first page.  

Maybe they did.  Maybe I wasn't listening hard enough.

I'm also blaming it on my friend Sara, who taught me how to knit last month (thank you SO much Sara!).  She said it wasn't hard, but I didn't believe her.  I looked at all the beautiful things that she works on, and I felt a bit intimidated by it.  I've loved it though.

Really really loved it.

This below is my first real project:

It's supposed to be a scarf, but it's going to take me forever to finish it (I'm terribly slow), so in my impatience, I'm considering turning it into a thick headband.  What do you think?  Would that look weird?  Tell me the truth now.  I don't want to walk around looking like a dork.


 Actually I don't really care what I walk around looking like.  You should see what I went out in public wearing today (I'm shaking my head right now in disbelief).  But I do want your opinion.  Should I continue the scarf, so that my hands get more practice, or go on to bigger, better things?

I've still got lots and lots to learn in the needlework department.  I still don't know how to cast off, or join things together (and mounds of other things).  I'm just anxious to make cute little things for my nieces and nephews and my boys (although they don't really deserve anything knitted from me since they keep thwarting my progress by stealing my needles and pretending they are swords...little stinkers).

Anyway...speaking of my nieces and nephews...we had a few of them come and visit last weekend.  Two of my brothers and spouse and kids came, and we had so much fun.  We went climbing at Red Rock canyon one day, and then went out to Death Valley National Park, to play in the sand dunes the next day.

I took ZERO pictures, but luckily my sister-in-law sent me a few.  I miss having all my family here (come back you guys!).
 Me and Joshy baby.  He made me SO so so so baby hungry.

 Dan and Sam.  Cutest cutest little boys.

My brother Paul and Isaac.  I think Paul is such a great Dad.  His wife and oldest daughter went on a little adventure together last weekend, so he wanted to take his two boys on an adventure while they were away (that's when I was like..."come to Vegas for an adventure!").  I'm so glad they did.

Rick joining in on the "lets see who can jump the farthest" competition.  I'm going to say he won, because I can.  haha.  p.s. on a totally unrelated note-- today Rick helped my friend split some firewood, and he looked HOT doing it.  I have now decided that come hell or high water, we are getting a cabin in the woods so that I can watch him split firewood every day.
And that's all I have to say about that.

 Paul jumping, while Vaughn watches in admiration and awe.  Wahoo!  
Death Valley is the place for boys (and playful girls too).

Isaac making sand angels.  Love love love this boy.

Well that's it for now.  I hope you all have a fun weekend doing things that you love to do.

xoxo