7.13.2011

Cherry Berry Ruchi Smoothie

My favorite thing first thing in the morning is to make the boys and I a smoothie.  My favorite since getting pregnant is what we call our Cherry Berry Ruchi smoothie (after one of our favorite books, Tikki Tikki Tembo).


Here's what I use to make them:
For one single serving (I split the boys smoothie into two cups) I use:

  • 2 frozen strawberries
  • Handful of mixed frozen berries (about 1/4 cup)
  • Handful of frozen sweet cherries (they make the smoothie!  They sell them at my Costco, but last year I bought several boxes in bulk and pitted them and froze them in my freezer.  'Tis the season for cherries right now!)
  • Half a banana (really sweetens the smoothie up, and makes it smooth)
  • 3/4 cup of milk (I'm very particular about how thick my smoothie is.  I like it pretty thick, so sometimes I do a little less milk).
  • Large handful of spinach (about 1/2 cup).  Pack it in there!  You can't taste it, and it's a great way to get a serving of vegetables to start your day.
  • Couple spoonfuls of organic plain low-fat yogurt.  This really adds a little tartness to the flavor, which I love, plus it's got good stuff in there for you.  :-)
  • Large spoonful of ground flax seed.  This is a great ingredient to add for its fiber, antioxidants, Omega-3, and fatty acids.  
That's it!  Here it is before we whir it all together:


And our finished product:

It really is so delicious, smooth, and refreshing.  One serving is about 250 calories, and paired with a small bowl of oatmeal or a piece of toast keeps me satisfied for hours.  It makes me happy to start our morning with so many fruits and vegetables.  We all love it!