Here's what I use to make them:
- 2 frozen strawberries
- Handful of mixed frozen berries (about 1/4 cup)
- Handful of frozen sweet cherries (they make the smoothie! They sell them at my Costco, but last year I bought several boxes in bulk and pitted them and froze them in my freezer. 'Tis the season for cherries right now!)
- Half a banana (really sweetens the smoothie up, and makes it smooth)
- 3/4 cup of milk (I'm very particular about how thick my smoothie is. I like it pretty thick, so sometimes I do a little less milk).
- Large handful of spinach (about 1/2 cup). Pack it in there! You can't taste it, and it's a great way to get a serving of vegetables to start your day.
- Couple spoonfuls of organic plain low-fat yogurt. This really adds a little tartness to the flavor, which I love, plus it's got good stuff in there for you. :-)
- Large spoonful of ground flax seed. This is a great ingredient to add for its fiber, antioxidants, Omega-3, and fatty acids.
That's it! Here it is before we whir it all together:
And our finished product:
It really is so delicious, smooth, and refreshing. One serving is about 250 calories, and paired with a small bowl of oatmeal or a piece of toast keeps me satisfied for hours. It makes me happy to start our morning with so many fruits and vegetables. We all love it!