7.13.2011

New Play Corner!


I couldn't resist an impulse buy at Costco the other day when I saw this shelving unit for $25.  I've been wanting to do something like this for a while, so that the kids have some of their play things (which are usually in our large wooden box, aka: the toy box, or crammed into a tiny little closet that I've organized with toys and craft supplies), but I didn't want to spend a lot on shelving, and I also wanted something that I can modify or change if needed.  These shelves are really easy to put together, and can be put together in a lot of different ways.
I was really inspired by this post at The Sleepytime Gal (I originally found the post through Silly Eagle Books, one of my favorite blogs).  I'd really love to rotate what is in this space with my kid's developing interests, and I especially love the idea of pairing books with specific objects, and seeing what my kids do with them.
I've noticed how much more my kids use, and play with items when they are easily accessible to them (an obvious concept, I know, but it took me a while to figure that out!).  :-)
So far I've been the most surprised at how often they get out the puppets, and interact stories, scenes, and play with them (they hardly ever got used before).  It's been fun to watch!
I love how much more space I have in my craft closet now, and our "toy box" now just houses their dress-ups.
Here's a few pictures (okay, a lot) of our new space: