9.03.2011

Grandma Fitzgerald's Chocolate Chocolate Zucchini Bread & Muffins


Every summer, when the zucchini's were ripe in my Grandma's garden, she would make batches and batches of her regular zucchini bread, and her chocolate chocolate zucchini bread, and then wrap it up and freeze it in her deep freezer.  For months after we would devour her bread on our visits.  The chocolate was always the first to go, and it was always a sad day when it was gone.

I still remember the sweet, delicious bread that we all loved so much, and decided to try making it today for my very first time.  I decided to go with muffins, and one loaf of bread, because I thought it would be easier to  eat and less messy, but I think any way you go it will always taste delicious.

Grandma Fitzgerald's Chocolate Chocolate Zucchini Bread/Muffins

  • 3 Eggs
  • 1 Cup of oil
  • 2 Cups of shredded zucchini
  • 1 Cup white sugar
  • 1 Cup brown sugar
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
-- Mix ingredients together in a mixer (or by hand) and then add:
  • 3 Cups of all-purpose flour
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp. baking powder
  • 2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup of cocoa powder
-- Mix well and then add:
  • 1 Cup chocolate chips
  • 1 Cup chopped walnuts
--Bake on 350 for 35-40 minutes if you are making bread (this will make about three large loaves), or about 22-25 minutes for muffins (I made 2 dozen, plus one loaf of bread, so I'm guessing if you're doing just muffins, it would make around 3 dozen).  I found this GREAT idea on Pinterest where you can cook lots of muffins at one time on a cookie sheet, which is what I did (since I don't have any muffin pans, since my silicone ones burst into flames and started my kitchen on fire-- maybe I'll tell that story one day).  

While all this is baking, you can make a glaze to brush on top, which tastes delicious, but is optional.  
For the glaze, in a saucepan, melt:
  • 1/4 Cube butter
  • 1/4 Cup milk
Stir, and then add:
  • About a Cup of powdered sugar (I actually used about 1 1/2 cups
  • 1/4 Cup of cocoa powder
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla
Mix all together, and then brush the tops of your bread/muffins when they come out of the oven.

Delicious!