2.24.2012

Great Reads Lately

For the past few months I've read some amazing books.  It seems that I've read the perfect books to help me get through my experiences, and I thought I'd take a minute to share my favorites.

These is my Words is a wonderful story about Sarah Prine-- her struggles, joys, and life in the Arizona Territories.  I read this a week or two before having the baby.  I was so pregnant and uncomfortable and it helped calm me to read this story.  This is a story of loss and love, on so many different levels, and I thought about it so often after losing our baby.  It really was the perfect book for me to read right before having and losing him.  I loved it.


The Secret Garden.  Oh how I love this book.  I read it at least once a year-- usually in the spring.  But this year was different.  This is the first book (besides books about grieving) that I read after coming home from the hospital.  I needed something to get lost in, but I wanted something familiar and comforting.  I ran my mind through my bookshelves and knew that this was the book that would be best for me.  I love this book about change and growth-- the descriptions of the plants and the little birds and the children, all growing and learning and becoming stronger.  It brought me such happiness and comfort to read this familiar and favorite book of mine.


Unbroken.  An absolutely amazing and fascinating non-fiction story about the life of Louis Zamperini, who was an Olympic athlete, and was then a bomber pilot in the Pacific.  A group of my friends picked this for book club, and at first I wasn't going to read it-- it was right before our move, there was a long hold list at the library for it, and I feel like I've read enough books about WWII to last me for a long while.  But after reading the reviews of this book, I felt very strongly that I needed to read it.  I'm so glad I did.  My life was crazy while reading this book-- we were in the middle of the move, there were boxes all over our new house, tons of stuff to still get done at the old house, things to unpack, things to clean, paperwork and stuff to do to do to do-- but none of what I was in the midst of could compare at all to what the people in this book went through, and sacrificed and suffered through for their country.  It is a story of endurance, miracles and forgiveness, and one that I needed to read right now in my life.  Of all the things that I struggle with the most, it is forgiving myself and forgiving my caregivers, and letting go of those feeling of anger and guilt.  I was deeply moved by this story.  I liked it so much that I read Seabuiscuit, written by the same author, right after.  I loved it so much too.

I hope you all have wonderful things to read too!