3.30.2013

Quiet Saturday

I've been away from this space for too long. For hours I've been wanting to write, but every time I sit down I find something to distract me-- Facebook, Pinterest, Blogs and laundry.

I don't know why I'm resisting my blog so much lately. Maybe because I've been away so long, it's hard to know where to start.

The house is quiet right now-- just the soft warm whirl of the dryer finishing its last load. Rick took the boys to REI and the comic book store, and probably out to lunch too. I was folding clothes in the boys room, and I looked at the beds they made themselves this morning. Mason had his puppy laid on top of his slightly crumpled quilt, with his blue blanket laid carefully on top of his puppy. It was so cute it almost made me want to cry. I love their little rumpled beds that they make and show me with such pride. I love that they take care of their little treasures with such love and care. They are the best little boys.

The other day Mason came up to me and held on to both of my hands while looking at me with his big brown eyes, his eyebrows raised high (my signal that he's trying to tell me something really important to him). He said "Mom do you know what my favorite color is?" "What?" I asked him trying to match his excitement. He said "Red and blue, and the color of your eyes." Goodness. What a sweet boy. He tells me and shows me all the time that he loves me.

Vaughn does too, but he has his own cute ways of showing it. A couple of weeks ago, he gave me a necklace that he had been working hard to make and surprise me with. It was made with beads from his treasure box (he loves those beads), and peppermint dental floss. He gave me the necklace proudly and said "Here Mom! I made you this necklace! And it's even your favorite flavor, so if you get hungry you can chew on it!" (He knows I love peppermint). It made me laugh. He's so cute and sweet.

We just got back yesterday from a week in Utah. It was so nice spending time with family and seeing some friends. My nieces and nephews are so cute, and my boys have so much fun playing with them. We had fun going to parks, going to a climbing gym (Vaughn did an awesome job climbing some really high walls to the top), and doing a fun Mommy and me Zumba class (We all loved it!).

It's nice to be back home though with Rick. He's been working so hard this year getting our family prepared for emergencies. Each month we have laid out what we will work on that month, so that by the end of the year we will have a good system in place for emergencies and preparedness. He's been so great about sticking with our plan, and I love how much time and effort he's putting into it. This month our focus was to get 72 hour kits ready for all of us. We came home with all of our supplies laid out, and nice new packs for each of us. We put them all together, and today he's making information cards for all of us so we'll be all prepared. He's a great Dad and husband.

The biggest news and change that is happening in our family, is that we are expecting a new baby boy in August. We are so excited for another baby to come to our family. We are going to name him Conrad, but we haven't figured out a middle name yet. So far in the ultrasounds I have had, he is a very active and crazy baby. He jumps and jumps around like my uterus is a trampoline. In my first ultrasound with him, me, the doctor, and the ultrasound tech in the room laughed and laughed at him. I've never seen a baby move the way he was moving. I feel him on a regular basis now, several times a day and night. I already love our crazy baby so much.

I must say goodbye for now, but hopefully I'll be back soon. I want to post my Grandma's laundry advice that I took detailed notes of while I was staying with her this week (I am determined to have my laundry smell as sweet, feel as soft, and look as clean as my Grandma's laundry!). Rick and I took a trip to Hawaii last month that I need to document. We camped on the beach, and it was wonderful!