10.15.2016

What We Said

It has been a little more than two years since I last posted here. I have decided to make writing a more regular part of my life, and so I am hoping to occasionally start writing and updating here. Today I wrote a poem-- my first in years (and years). I had a writing prompt of "Write a poem with the title 'What We Said.'" As I revise and rework it, I will possibly post those revisions.

What We Said

We hike the Spring Mountains,
our feet threading through sandstone,
Blackbrush Shrub, and Juniper.
Again and again we come
here, remember here.
We are like a flock of sparrows
stitching up the sky,
trying to say
something important.
We hold pieces of sky, rock
and memory in our wings.
Scrap by scrap we make
something seamless, forgiving.

There are Desert Poppy sometimes.
Delicate throats
opening to bright yellow mouths.
They are almost
silent.
I want to tell them
that I hear their hushed
secrets. That in return
I will leave mine
in my footsteps behind.
Only the stars will see.
After we have fallen
asleep, they will study
our shared words--
soft, sad, and brilliant.